OC Dental Academy
Pit and Fissure Sealant Course
Dental sealants are made of a resin material and are applied to the pits and fissures of teeth to prevent dental caries. OC Dental Academy’s Pit and Fissure Sealants course is a California Dental Board-approved course which fulfills the certification requirements for an RDA’s renewing an RDA license, and/or RDA’s seeking to perform pit and fissure sealant on patients in a dental office. Upon completing this course, the graduate will earn a certificate in Pit and Fissure Sealants. This course is non-refundable.
- Pit and Fissure Sealant Certification
- All supplies and materials
- Notification to The California Dental Board upon successful completion of the Pit and Fissure
- Sealant Course
- Tooth Morphology
- Dental Anatomy
- Material and Applications
- Infection Control During Procedure
- Application of Pit and Fissure Sealants
- Must be RDA (Attach copy of license to your registration OR
- DA qualified to take the RDA exam.
- DA must send with registration copies of:
- Current CPR card (AHA or ARC)
- California 8-hour Infection Control Certificate
- California Dental Practice Act
- Radiation Safety Certificate
- Coronal Polish Certificate
- Student MUST complete on-line training and pass on-line quizzes BEFORE DAY TWO.
- Student must provide 4 (four) patients for clinical
- Each patient should have a minimum of four (4) virgin non-restored natural posterior teeth (bicuspids and or molars) for application of pit and fissure sealants.
- Each patient must have one tooth for each quadrant of the mouth to satisfy the minimum number of virgin non-restored posterior teeth to be sealed per patient.
- Minimum age of patient is 12 years, but recommended age of patient is 18 years of age or older.
- If the student cannot provide clinical patients meeting the minimum requirements on Day Two, the student can schedule the patients to be done in our facility on a different day.
- Day One:
- On-line training and home study. On-line training and quizzes MUST be completed before Day Two.
- When day one is complete, you will be able to schedule day two
- Day Two
- After a written exam at the beginning of class, the student will learn the step-by-step procedure of pit and fissure sealant placement on a typodont/manikin.
- Student will use a typodont/manikin to practice tooth preparation, moisture control, application of the correct amount of sealant, and bite articulation.
- After clinical proficiency is established, the student will apply pit and fissure sealants on a total of 16 virgin teeth (teeth without restorations).
- The student will provide a minimum of four (4) patients to place pit and fissure sealants. Two (2) of the four clinical live patients shall serve as the student’s clinical final examination. This will fulfill the California Dental Board requirements for the student to receive the Pit and Fissure Certificate.
- Student must wear scrubs
- Student must wear hair pulled back above collar
- Student must wear closed toe footwear
- Student must bring their own protective eyewear
OC Dental Academy partners with OC Dental Specialists and is a California Dental Board approved course provider that certifies students in Radiation Safety.
A Career to be Proud of
OC Dental Academy invites you to join a new, accelerated, low-cost course in Dental Assisting. We offer this opportunity from the perspective of practicing dentists and experienced dental assistants in the setting of an actual dental office. While we will seek to give you exposure to a wide range of dental techniques, materials, and dental knowledge, we will focus on the skills needed as “core necessities” for job acquisition.
Cost & Payment Options
- Class Schedules
Current Cost & Payment Plans
Low Tuition (so everyone can afford it)