OC Dental Academy
X-Ray Program 2
This program is designed for students who have little to no experience in taking x-rays. At OC Dental Academy, our Dental Radiation Safety course includes online and in-class lectures, instructional videos and one-on-one training using dental x-ray mannequins. The Dental Radiation Safety course is a Dental Board approved course that will fulfill the requirements for unlicensed Dental Assistants seeking to become an RDA. If you are a student that requires assistance in taking an FMX with 5 or less errors on a dental mannequin, then this class will be perfect for you!
The written portion of the program is 16 hours and the clinical portion is over a period of 2 days (16 hours on average), for a total length of 32 hours. Depending on your ability you will choose the pace at which you complete the program.
- California Dental Radiation and Safety Certification
- All supplies and materials
- Notification to The California Dental Board upon successful completion of the Radiation Safety Certification Course
- Lecture and clinical application of x-ray safety
- Bisecting and parallel techniques
- Film exposure
- Processing and mounting of non-digital x-rays,
- Digital x-ray (Dexis) training
- Evaluation of both digital and non-digital dental x-rays.
- Person must speak English
- 8-Hour Infection Control Certification
- A minimum of six (6) months experience in dental assisting in the United States
- Provide documentation from the dental office where work experience was acquired.
- This documentation must include:
- Date of employment or experience
- Documentation must be written on office letterhead that includes the office address and phone number
- Documentation must be signed and dated by supervising dentist
- Employment and experience will be verified.
- Be a graduate of a dental assisting program
- Be currently enrolled in a dental assistant program
- Photocopies of the above documents must be included with the registration form.
- Payment and the complete registration packet must be received 48 hours before the first day of class.
- Incomplete registration packets will not be accepted and students will be rescheduled for the next start date.
- Students must provide 4 clinical patients to be treated for their Full Mouth X-Ray (FMX)
- Must be at least 18 years or older.
- Must have no more than 6 missing teeth
- Must have at least 26 of their natural dentition present.
- Must have no history of cardiovascular or kidney problem.
- Must not be pregnant.
- Must not be in any orthodontic appliances.
- Must complete all the necessary forms at or before time of FMX.
- Student must wear scrubs
- Student must wear hair pulled back above collar
- Student must wear closed toe footwear
- Student must be on time to class
In the state of California, a Dental Assistant must have their California Radiation Safety (X-Ray) certificate to be permitted to take x-rays in a dental office. In addition, all applicants for Registered Dental Assistant (RDA) licensure must submit evidence of having completed an approved Radiation Safety course.
OC Dental Academy partners with a California Dental Board-Approved course provider that certifies students in Radiation Safety.
An Exciting Dental Career is Just a Few Clicks Away
OC Dental Academy offers a hands-on course designed to give you the basic fundamental knowledge and skills necessary to start your new career, at a minimum cost of time and expense.