OC Dental Academy
X-Ray Program 2
This program is designed for students who have little to no experience in taking x-rays. At OC Dental Academy, our Dental Radiation Safety course includes online and in-class lectures, instructional videos and one-on-one training using dental x-ray mannequins. The Dental Radiation Safety course is a Dental Board approved course that will fulfill the requirements for unlicensed Dental Assistants seeking to become an RDA. If you are a student that requires assistance in taking an FMX with 5 or less errors on a dental mannequin, then this class will be perfect for you!
The written portion of the program is 16 hours and the clinical portion is over a period of 2 days (16 hours on average), for a total length of 32 hours. Depending on your ability you will choose the pace at which you complete the program.
- California Dental Radiation and Safety Certification
- All supplies and materials
- Notification to The California Dental Board upon successful completion of the Radiation Safety Certification Course
- Lecture and clinical application of x-ray safety
- Bisecting and parallel techniques
- Film exposure
- Processing and mounting of non-digital x-rays,
- Digital x-ray (Dexis) training
- Evaluation of both digital and non-digital dental x-rays.
- Person must speak English
- 8-Hour Infection Control Certification
- A minimum of six (6) months experience in dental assisting in the United States
- Provide documentation from the dental office where work experience was acquired.
- This documentation must include:
- Date of employment or experience
- Documentation must be written on office letterhead that includes the office address and phone number
- Documentation must be signed and dated by supervising dentist
- Employment and experience will be verified.
- Be a graduate of a dental assisting program
- Be currently enrolled in a dental assistant program
- Photocopies of the above documents must be included with the registration form.
- Payment and the complete registration packet must be received 48 hours before the first day of class.
- Incomplete registration packets will not be accepted and students will be rescheduled for the next start date.
- Students must provide 4 clinical patients to be treated for their Full Mouth X-Ray (FMX)
- Must be at least 18 years or older.
- Must have no more than 6 missing teeth
- Must have at least 26 of their natural dentition present.
- Must have no history of cardiovascular or kidney problem.
- Must not be pregnant.
- Must not be in any orthodontic appliances.
- Must complete all the necessary forms at or before time of FMX.
- Student must wear scrubs
- Student must wear hair pulled back above collar
- Student must wear closed toe footwear
- Student must be on time to class
In the state of California, a Dental Assistant must have their California Radiation Safety (X-Ray) certificate to be permitted to take x-rays in a dental office. In addition, all applicants for Registered Dental Assistant (RDA) licensure must submit evidence of having completed an approved Radiation Safety course.
OC Dental Academy partners with OC Dental Specialists and is a California Dental Board approved course provider that certifies students in Radiation Safety.
An Exciting Dental Career is Just a Few Clicks Away
OC Dental Academy offers a hands-on course designed to give you the basic fundamental knowledge and skills necessary to start your new career, at a minimum cost of time and expense.