Dental Practice Act
Although its primary objective is to safeguard the public, the California Dental Practice Act is an excellent resource for dental professionals to ensure compliance with state law. The California Dental Practice Act is the body of laws in the California Business and Professions Code and the California Code of Regulations governing dental professionals, including dentists, oral and maxillofacial surgeons, orthodontists, dental assistants, and dental hygienists. The Act is intended to serve as a legal guideline for both professionals and the public regarding all aspects of dental practice.
Course Hours: 2 hours
Course Completion Certificate: A printable (Pdf) Certificate by Email
The purpose of this course is to provide California dental professionals with a working knowledge of the contents of the California Dental Practice Act, ensuring that they practice legally and safely.
- Define the scope of practice of dental professionals in California.
- List the governing agencies of the dental profession and define their functions.
- Describe the legal role and responsibilities of the dentist and dental auxiliaries.
- Distinguish between direct and indirect supervision and define auxiliary responsibilities in each category.
- Describe the various laws regarding licenses in the dental profession.
- State where to find the yearly updates of the Dental Practice Act.
Below are the Allowable Duties for Dental Assistants (Unlicensed)
DENTAL ASSISTANTS (UNLICENSED)
(c) A dental assistant may perform such basic supportive dental procedures as the following under the direct supervision of a licensed dentist when done so pursuant to the order, control and full professional responsibility of the supervising dentist. Such procedures shall be checked and approved by the supervising dentist prior to dismissal of the patient from the office of said dentist.
OC Dental Academy partners with Blxtraining and is a California Dental Board approved course provider that certifies students in California Dental Practice Act.
An Exciting Dental Career is Just a Few Clicks Away
OC Dental Academy offers a hands-on course designed to give you the basic fundamental knowledge and skills necessary to start your new career, at a minimum cost of time and expense.