OC Dental Academy
Ultrasonic Scaling Course
The ultrasonic scaler operates at a low frequency of about 3,000 to 8,000 cycles/second (which is how many times the tip comes in contact with the tooth). The ultrasonic scaler is air-driven, and the tip moves in an elliptical motion. The ultrasonic handpiece utilizes either magnetostrictive or piezoelectric technology. Magnetostrictive inserts operate at 25,000 to 30,000 cycles/second and, like the sonic scaler, have an elliptical motion. A low-voltage magnetic signal causes tip movement. Piezo-electric technology operates at 28,000 to 36,000 cycles/second. The tip moves in a back-and-forth motion and works along the side of the tooth, shaving off calculus and debris. Here the handpiece, rather than the instrument tip, is activated. This course is non-refundable.
As an RDA, once you have completed a course in Ultra Sonic Scaling, you will be licensed to operate an Ultra Sonic Scaler.
OC Dental Academy offers this 8-hour course of complete instruction in the use of the ultrasonic scaler by the Registered Dental Assistant (RDA) or Ortho Assisting Permit (OAP) candidate in an orthodontic environment.
The student will be trained and become proficient in removing excess cement from coronal surfaces of orthodontically-banded teeth.
- Student must speak English
- Student must be a Registered Dental Assistant (RDA) -OR-
- Dental Assistant (DA) qualified to take the Ortho Assistant Permit (OAP) exam
- Student must complete online training and pass online quizzes before clinical day
- Registered Dental Assistant (RDA) must send with registration a copy of:
- RDA License
- Dental Assistant (DA) must send with registration copies of:
- Current CPR card (American Heart Association or American Red Cross)
- California 8-hour Infection Control Certificate.
- California Dental Practice Act
- Orthodontic Assistant course certificate
- Payment and the complete registration packet must be received 48 hours before the first day of class.
- Incomplete prerequisites will not be accepted, and students will be rescheduled for the next start date.
- Student must wear scrubs
- Student must wear hair pulled back above collar
- Student must wear closed toe footwear
- Students must bring protective eyewear
This is a California Dental Board-approved course provider that certifies students in Ultrasonic Scaling and upon completion of our course we will issue an Ultrasonic Scaling certificate to the student.
OC Dental Academy partners with a California Dental Board-Approved course provider that certifies students in Ultrasonic Scaling Certificate.
An Exciting Dental Career is Just a Few Clicks Away
OC Dental Academy offers a hands-on course designed to give you the basic fundamental knowledge and skills necessary to start your new career, at a minimum cost of time and expense.